Codeine is a unique addiction as people may not always understand that they have become physically or psychologically addicted.
Addiction can happen to anyone – it does not discriminate.
Whether you are turning to drugs to escape feelings of depression, trauma or anxiety, or find yourself accidentally dependent (no concurrent problem with illegal drugs), codeine addiction often leaves people confused and unaware of the steps they need to take to break the dependency.
Need help, but don’t know where to start, who turn to or what to ask? Have a free chat with us, we can help.
Codeine addiction overview
Codeine is an opiate, which is often prescribed by medical professionals for pain relief.
However, people can develop tolerances quickly, which lead to the drug being taken in higher dosages.
Thus starting a dangerous path into opiate abuse.
For some codeine can start innocently following a prescription (pills, tablets or cough syrup).
Codeine can be less regulated than other opiate products, like morphine and OxyContin, which are considered more dangerous.
Though less potent, codeine provides similar effects to morphine.
Codeine is sometimes considered a gateway drug to more powerful opiates like heroin.
How to spot a codeine addiction?
- Using alone without other people knowing
- Hiding your usage
- Memory loss
- Lying about the amount you take
- Using it to shut out negative thoughts
- Trying to forget memories or traumas
- Trying to numb any pain – physical or psychological
- Using it to turn down thoughts of guilt and shame
- Others being concerned about your behaviour
- Turning into a different person
Support is available for codeine dependency
It’s time to choose life again.
- Do you ever feel sad, hopeless, empty or worthless?
- Have you lost interest in your hobbies? Do you find yourself less interested in things you used to love?
- Do you lack energy and motivation? Have you lost your hope and faith?
- Is it difficult to get to sleep or stay asleep? Is it hard to get up in the mornings?
- Do you struggle to regulate your emotions? Do you feel scared and judged by your family and so avoid them?
Specialist treatment and rehab for codeine addiction
- Inpatient treatments from 28-90 days
- Outpatient courses from 3 weeks
- 1-week detoxification process
- 1-1 and group therapy
- CBT therapy
- Complementary and holistic therapies
Help is on the way
Codeine use can cause your life to spiral out of control, so if you are ready to reclaim your life from a codeine addiction, then just talk to us to see how you can get started:
Some rehab choices in the UK
Over 10,000 patients have passed through our rehab centre’s doors since 1988, and the majority have gone on to achieve, long-term abstinent recovery from their addictions – Castle Craig.
 Statista, Number of deaths from drug poisoning by codeine in England and Wales from 1993 to 2019, Death from drug poisoning by codeine in England and Wales 1993-2019
Published by Conor Stewart, Oct 20, 2020.
 National Archives, GOV UK, Addiction to Medicine, 2011.