When it comes to rehab treatment for addiction, there are so many things to consider.
One of the main considerations is to think about whether you’d like to travel or stay local for rehab.
We understand how overwhelming it can be to face your addiction and consider treatment options, so we are here to help.
Calls are confidential and supportive. Call us now on 0808 1150 446.
Choosing where to go
Once you have decided to receive treatment for a drug or alcohol problem, the next step is to device which treatment program to choose, and which rehab to attend.
There are so many rehab centres across the UK, and each is unique. The treatment options, living environment and recreational activities will vary depending on the individual rehab clinic. Read more.
What are the benefits of travelling for rehab?
- Travelling to a rehab that best suits your needs and preferences is the most effective option.
- Being open to travelling to a rehab centre that is not local to you will allow you to gain access to the highest standard of care.
- Travelling to a rehab centre is a good way of adopting the mindset that you are taking a journey to a fresh start and recovery in a place which is unfamiliar and new.
- Distancing yourself from your triggers can help reduce the desire to use again, reinforcing your commitment to recovery and sobriety.
Staying local for rehab
Seeking local rehab treatment can save money on travel, and remaining close to loved ones can be a supportive benefit of staying local.
However, most rehabs have family accommodation so that you don’t have to settle for local rehab centres in order to keep your them nearby. Rehab is the first step to regaining control of your life, so you need to be confident that your addiction treatment is the best option for you.
What are the disadvantages of staying local?
- You may be tempted to leave treatment early and return home or familiar environment
- Friends and loved ones may become a distraction to your progress
- You may be settling for lower quality medical care just to remain local
It is vital to prioritise the treatment options that are best suited to your needs, rather than the location of the rehab centre.
Benefits of rural rehab centres:
- Beautiful surroundings encourage holistic approaches
- Tranquillity and privacy
- Horticultural sessions
- Peaceful surroundings and fresh air
- Distance from any distraction or trigger
Disadvantages of city rehab centres:
- Smaller rehabs
- The sound of traffic and city life deterring from the focus on recovery
- Harder to relax in an urban environment
- No horticultural or animal therapy options
- Closer to distractions and triggers
Would you go on holiday locally?
It is good to treat rehab as a new start, a chance to refresh and reflect upon your life, and to get away from your old and toxic routine.
You wouldn’t think twice about travelling to a holiday destination, so why should rehab be any different?
Though rehab is a rigorous process, it is important to think as holistically as possible about your recovery from addiction, and to choose the rehab centre that will help you most to recover and leave your past life behind.
Our support team are always here to help.
Last Updated on April 29, 2021 by Alison